I want to note right away that hamsters are funny and cheerful animals! A healthy hamster always does something: digs a litter, nibbles on a wire rack, eats, drinks, and bathes - and always is cheerful and tireless.
Hamsters are able to live in a group only at a young age, usually up to 1.5 months. However, their behavior is particularly playful. They fight, bite each other, but all this happens to them jokingly, not seriously. Such games of cubs are characteristic of all mammals. They develop the basic instincts of attack and self-defense.
It’s even better for small hamsters to live in a group, as the young animals have thermoregulation of the body is still imperfect, and in the company of your brothers and sisters they will sleep in a heap, not allowing each other to freeze. After 1.5 months of age, hamsters begin to fight for real.
Females are especially aggressive. At this time, puberty of animals occurs. Hamsters have matriarchy. The female is the mistress, and the male, figuratively speaking, is on the sidelines. Females always beat males, with the exception of the mating season. In this case, the male can be left with the female but not more than 1 hour. It is during this time that they mate, and then the fights resume in which the male may die.
Hamsters are very thrifty and neat. When they are given food, they often begin to fill their cheeks, and then for some time they go with puffed cheeks, thinking where to put all this. Then the animals put the whole food in a bunch in a corner. They choose another corner for the toilet and always go to the same place.
And now let us dwell on one problem related to the gastronomic inclinations of hamsters. Once, during a lesson in a school biological circle, one of my students came up to me and asked me to explain to him the strange at first glance behavior of his favorite. What an unusual story he told me: “A few days ago I discovered that my golden hamster was missing. I searched for it all over the house for a long time and didn’t find it. And last night my budgie disappeared from the cage. I again thoroughly "I searched the whole house and found a hamster not in the kitchen, in the nightstand where the pots are stored. Near his new nest there were also feathers from my parrot."
I explained to him that the hamsters, although rodents, but living in the wild, not only feed on various seeds and green parts of plants, but also catch insects and their larvae. Therefore, domestic hamsters need to be given boiled meat, steep eggs, low-fat cottage cheese and flour worm larvae.
This behavior is often found among domestic hamsters and is often described in various manuals on how to keep them at home. Such a disaster can occur if the diet of the hamster is only plant food. Then his body begins to lack protein of animal origin and minerals. The body begins to require animal food, and this may result in the animal "going hunting." So the hamster is not to blame for anything, his behavior is determined by the characteristics of the body, and so that such tragedies do not continue to happen, I advised the boy to supplement his pet's diet.
What tricks can a hamster do?
When planning a hamster training schedule, do not include the ability to give a paw, run after a stick or jump over the barrier. The hamster’s brain is much smaller than that of a dog, cat or guinea pig. It is unlikely that he will master the skills so different from his usual activities.
To underestimate the wisdom of animals is also not worth it. The well-known expert in the rules of training Karen Prior even from chickens sought dance movements on a specific signal. The positive reinforcement method works with any creature, from a person to a hamster.
It’s easy to figure out how to train the Syrian or Dzungarian hamsters, the main thing is their own knowledge and discipline.
How to achieve success in training?
- Age. For successful training, age is important when the animal is most susceptible to learning new skills. You can start education when the hamster turns two weeks old. The most favorable age for training is up to 3 months. After three months, the hamster forms a behavior model. It doesn’t matter whether it is Jungar or Syrian - he will perceive the training as a mockery.
- The most suitable time for training is the evening when the pet is most active, slept and had a light snack. You need to wait until the hamster gets enough sleep, crawls out of the nest and begins to roam the cage. A sleepy creature that has been forcefully awakened will not be responsive to new requirements. It is necessary to be attentive to the state of the animal: during the period of illness, mating, and pregnancy, the hamster can be nervous and show aggression.
- The trainer should be clean. Unfamiliar odors can distract or frighten a tiny student. The smell of hamsters is well developed, they can easily smell the smell of fish, bleach or perfume on the hands and body of the owner.
It is impossible to teach a hamster difficult tricks if he does not trust his master. How can you train a hamster at home if he is scared and has nowhere to run? The first and most important thing is to tame your pet. He should not be afraid of the owner, break out, hide and bite.
Calm behavior, caring care, goodies, a pleasant smell and a quiet voice will help a person gain confidence, and pretty soon the hamster will willingly go to the pens.
Important: even a small and defenseless baby hamster should not be picked up by force. If the animal bites and runs away, then it is in a panic. Fear destroys contact with the owner. You need to start dating by offering refreshments.
Let the animal first come up and eat next to the hand, then drag the delicacy from the edge of the palm of the hand, and gradually climb into the hand. The trusting relationship between the owner and the pet will be the best stimulator for the animal.
Simple tricks are available to almost every animal, the main thing is patience and regular classes.
- Knowing your nickname.
One of the most important skills is to distinguish your name. If the animal comes to the call, it is easy to find. Hamsters often flee and hide, so it’s convenient if a hungry traveler crawls out of his hiding place to the owner in the hope of a bite to eat. The name of the hamster should be simple and short, easy to remember.
You need to pronounce the chosen name as often as possible in a calm voice, especially in minutes when the hamster is happy. If they pet him, feed him, and communicate with him, it is much easier for him to remember an unfamiliar word. If you pronounce a nickname every time a meal is offered, a smart animal will remember this and will come out when his name is.
- To run.
A hamster can be taught to run in a circle, if offering him food, carefully drive a piece of his favorite treat over a hungry animal. After two or three circles, it is imperative to treat him more tasty, so he gradually learns to run circles before a new feeding.
- To stand.
Hamsters have the ability to stand on their hind legs, so just enough to teach him to stand up on command. To do this, hold a treat over the animal. After waiting when he gets up, to get his dinner, you need to say the command “Stand!” Several times. After several workouts, the hamster will understand what they want from him. It is very important to reinforce success with refreshments and praise the animal.
In some cases, it is possible to teach the hamster more complex actions, but a significant part of the lazy and cunning animals may refuse to learn.
In this case, you do not need to insist so as not to get an aggressive and biting pet.
- Jump up
Training this team is similar to the previous one. By making the hamster jump for a treat, you can gradually accustom him to the Jump team. This fun skill can be beneficial for a weight-prone animal, but you should not abuse team jumps.
Knowing this command may be useful for the hamster. If he doesn’t obey, tries to eat something harmful or doesn’t need to get into anything, he needs to say “Fu!” And limit his actions.
- Sit on the shoulder.
You need to start by feeding on the shoulder. The owner at this time should remain motionless and calm. The hamster needs to be placed on his shoulder and held in his hand so that the animal feels safe while eating. If the animal is uncomfortable, he is nervous and tries to get down, you need to immediately return him to the nest, as the most comfortable place for him. Over time, the hamster will willingly climb on his shoulder.
If you put a flat slice of an apple on the animal’s back, he will have to first topple over on his back, and then stand on his paws. Sometimes it is possible to fix this trick with an animal.
- Hoop and barrier.
A jumping jungler can be taught to jump through a hoop. A hamster jumping circle of approximately 5 cm in diameter is fixed in front of the desired treat. The height should be about one cm, otherwise the cunning animal will simply crawl under the hoop. In the same way, you can train the animal to jump a small obstacle at the command “Barrier”. Syrian hamster is jumping low. If he does not show a tendency to jump, it is better to offer him another occupation.
It is important to eliminate errors so that possible problems are bypassed. If you are too carried away by upbringing, you can discourage the animal from the desire to learn and make contact. Training a hamster is possible only within the framework of mutual joyful communication, otherwise contact can be lost forever.
Do not punish the hamster, this will not help. A prolonged hunger strike and especially physical punishment will scare away the pet.
Extraneous people, animals, pungent odors can scare the hamster and distract him from classes.
Raising the voice on the animal is unacceptable.
Feeding a hamster to the blade before class is a big mistake. The animal will become sleepy and lose its incentive to work.
You should not demand a higher education diploma from a furry pet. If you use the elements of training for a pleasant conversation with the animal, listen to its mood and not scare, the hamster will probably master a few tricks. Trained pets bring a lot of positive emotions, so you should explore the talents of your furry friend.
Abscesses. Hamster disease
Hamster abscesses - This is a kind of abrasion that appears in hamsters mainly on the pads.
- reasons - the exact reason for the appearance of abscesses was not found, but veterinarians tend to mechanical injuries,
- symptoms - the presence of abrasions on the feet of the pet, which are found during a visual examination of the hamster,
- treatment - most often, in order to eliminate the abscesses in hamsters, doctors prescribe the use of ointments with zinc or fish oil, or drugs based on these components. The treatment of this, at first glance, slightly disease can take several months, since the pads are very sensitive and constantly exposed to stress.
Anomalies of the teeth. Hamster disease
Anomalies of teeth in hamsters - All representatives of rodents have such a feature as the constant growth of their front teeth. Because of this, the bite may be disturbed in the animal and the teeth simply do not close. Digestion disorders, etc., already follow from this.
- reasons - the cause of such abnormalities may be genetic features that suggest accelerated tooth growth, as well as a diet that contains very little solid feed. The animal just doesn’t have time to grind its teeth,
- Hamster diseases often spread to the teeth, the most common symptoms of dental pathologies are increased salivation. The pet can refuse food, stop eating food,
- treatment - to cure this type of pathology, do not self-medicate, but seek the help of a veterinarian. Often, a procedure such as dental treatment with a drill is performed. If as a result of the disease “hooks” appeared on the teeth, they should also be removed.
Inflammation of the cheek pouches. Hamster disease
- causes - inflammation of the sacs occurs if there is any damage to them from the inside. Also, if food is constantly stored there, an inflammatory process can occur due to the interaction of tissues and fiber products,
- symptoms - as a rule, symptoms of inflammation of the cheek pouches may be absent altogether. But there may also be a decrease in appetite due to pain,
- treatment - it is possible to fix the inflammation only by contacting the veterinary center, since to examine the cheeks from the inside, you need to correctly turn them off. In the absence of the necessary skills, you can cause discomfort to the pet. Inflammation is treated by removing food residue and treatment with bactericidal agents.
Hamster Alopecia some owners may be confused with lichen, as they are very similar during visual inspection. The only difference, which can bring clarity to the picture, is the presence of scales during the deprivation of hair loss, while baldness, the skin remains smooth. Do not engage in diagnostics yourself, in any case, you must consult a veterinarian.
- reasons - the following factors include the causes of baldness of hamsters: a decrease in the intake of vitamins and minerals in the body, frequent and severe stresses in the pet,
- symptoms - symptoms appear in the loss of hair, you can also notice pet apathy and lethargy,
- treatment - with a lack of vitamins, they should be included in the hamster's diet. In the presence of stresses, it is necessary to exclude their occurrence.
Herpes in hamsters
Herpes in hamsters - This is an inflammation of the skin near the mucous tissues of the animal.
- the reasons - a hamster can get herpes by contact with other hamsters,
- symptoms - the disease proceeds without any visible symptoms. You can fix it more often, only at scheduled examinations of the veterinarian,
- treatment - this disease does not require special treatment and goes away on its own in one to two weeks, but in any case, it is necessary to consult a specialist to know exactly what ailment your pet has.
Trichomoniasis Hamster Disease.
Trichomoniasis in hamsters - A disease caused by the activity of a parasite from the Trichomonas gallinae family.
- Reasons - a parasite can get into the body of your hamster by drinking dirty water or poor food. Due to weak immunity, young people are especially more prone to trichomoniasis than adults,
- symptoms - appear in a yellowish throat. Subsequently, it increases in size, as if swelling and blocking access to oxygen,
- treatment - carried out by the use of drugs, which should be prescribed only by a veterinarian. If you do not help the hamster in time, a fatal outcome is possible.
Conjunctivitis in hamsters
Conjunctivitis also applies to hamster disease - this is a pathology associated with a malfunction of the eye mucosa.
- causes - bacterial infections or colds that cause complications,
- symptoms - there may be copious discharge of mucus from the eyes,
- treatment - doctors recommend flushing the mucous membrane of the eye with salt water or use special drops.
Hamster obesity - An increase in the amount of subcutaneous fat in a hamster is fraught with poor effects on other organs, such as the heart.By its nature, the hamster is an animal that is mobile and needs a constant load.
- reasons - a decrease in physical activity, often occurs due to the fault of the owner, when the conditions of detention do not meet the requirements,
- symptoms - a visual increase in the fatty layer of the hamster. Decreased overall activity
- treatment - increased loads, installing various treadmills and attractions in the cell. Tracking caloric intake.
Colibacillosis. Hamster disease
Hamster colibacillosis - This is a disease of the gastrointestinal tract, which manifests itself in its disorder. Also, this ailment is called “wet tail“. Has a bacterial nature of appearance. This intestinal pathology may mislead the hosts, since in the early stages it is similar to other diseases that do not have a bacterial nature.
- causes - the presence of unfavorable bacteria in the body that come with food or water,
- symptoms are the main symptom; this is the presence of diarrhea in a hamster. Subsequently, lack of appetite, diarrhea with water, aggressive conditions, bleeding,
- treatment - it is possible to cure colibacillosis only by following all the instructions and recommendations of a veterinarian. Most often, solutions containing electrolytes are used to improve the hydration process. Together with this, antibiotics are prescribed that stabilize the intestine. It is also necessary to adhere to a certain diet, which involves the exclusion of certain foods from the diet.
Important! Colibacillosis can be transmitted to other individuals. Therefore, if you have other hamsters, they must be isolated from the infected pet.
E. coli also refers to hamster disease
E. coli in hamsters - A disease that causes significant discomfort to the pet, including death. It has an infectious nature. During the course of the disease, an infected hamster changes the intestinal flora due to the activity of the microbe.
- reasons - penetration into the body of an animal microbe,
- symptoms - signs of E. coli are high body temperature in the animal and the presence of blood diarrhea during bowel movements,
- treatment - the disease in most cases ends in death for the pet. It is very important to fix it in the early stages (which is very difficult, since it develops very quickly) in order to leave at least some chance of recovery.
Enteritis in the hamster
Enteritis in hamsters - It affects the organs responsible for the normal digestion of the animal.
- reasons - doctors call the main factor in the development of enteritis, the lack of hay in the diet,
- symptoms - bloating and diarrhea,
- treatment - it looks specific. The feces of a healthy animal are taken, mixed in water and administered as an enema to the patient. Also, to improve digestion, it is recommended to include hay in the diet.
Poisoning - Hamster Disease
- the reasons are the poor quality of food consumed, the presence of household chemicals on food. Dirty or stagnant water
- symptoms - loss of appetite, lethargy. Sometimes diarrhea and vomiting,
- treatment - a veterinarian should prescribe treatment based on the results of examinations. It is important to distinguish between poisoning and viral infection. Untimely seeking help is fraught with death.
Hamster cystitis Is a disease that affects the genitourinary system
- reasons - the causes of cystitis can be both mechanical damage and malnutrition. It is also possible the appearance of an ailment due to the lack of the proper amount of water in the diet,
- symptoms - frequent urination and increased anxiety,
- treatment - carried out by the use of drugs such as buscopan. If the condition does not improve after the course of taking the drugs, it is necessary to re-diagnose using radiography.
Hamster Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis
Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis in hamsters - this very serious illnessthat is infectious in nature. It affects all organs.
- reasons - the animal can become infected by contact with an ill individual. The main carriers of this disease are mice,
- symptoms - appear almost immediately and are expressed in general weakness, shortness of breath, body temperature rises,
- treatment is a disease, unfortunately incurable. If your pet is a victim of lymphocytic choriomeningitis, you should take measures to euthanize the hamster. This is the only way to save him from suffering.
Important! All hygiene rules must be observed; this disease can be transmitted to humans.
Aujeszky's disease - what is important to know about this hamster disease
Aujeszky's disease - This ailment is often called “false rabies,” since they have similar symptoms.
- reasons - the causative agent of this disease is a virus that affects the entire nervous system of the hamster,
- symptoms - signs of the disease do not appear immediately, but only after two to three weeks after infection. The disease manifests itself in the increased excitability of the animal and the presence of itching,
- treatment - it is possible to cure Aujeszky’s disease only in the early stages, if the ailment is launched, the virus encompasses the hamster’s vocal cords, provokes the development of paralysis of the larynx, as a result of which the animal dies.
Hamster Tumor - a disease caused by the appearance in the body of a neoplasm in the form of a malignant tumor.
- the reasons are genetic predisposition. Some foods can have a positive effect on the development of cancer in hamsters. Older individuals also have a tendency
- symptoms - signs depend on the location of the tumor, they can be different organs, and symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, impaired movement, interruptions in the body in general, etc.,
- treatment - involves the removal of a malignant neoplasm, but only if necessary.
Hamster Heart Disease
Hamster has heart disease - characterized by interruptions in the work of this body. Hamsters are quite rare.
- causes - the presence of severe stress or high air temperature, which affects the regulation of the heart muscle,
- symptoms - shortness of breath, high heart rate, apathy and decreased activity,
- treatment - at the first stages of treatment it is recommended to change the conditions of the hamster. If this does not help, and the condition only worsens, an injection of efffortil should be administered. Again, all treatment is prescribed strictly individually. Self-medication should be ruled out.
The common cold also refers to hamster disease
- reasons - it may be hypothermia or the action of the virus,
- symptoms - general weakness, sneezing, discharge from the nose, discharge from the eyes,
- treatment - it is recommended to give pets fruits that are saturated with liquid to prevent dehydration. If you run colds, they can develop into more serious ones.
Hamster Disease. Conclusion
So, we examined the main diseases of hamsters that the owner may encounter when rodent. The etiology of diseases can be unpredictable and the variety of affected organs is very large. Signs of Hamster Diseaseare also very different and it is important to distinguish between them. We gave only a brief description of the diseases, because any pathology requires a detailed analysis. Each disease is dangerous in its own way., so can not run even the most harmless at first glance diseases.
It is important to note that all descriptions of diseases and pathologies in hamsters are given only as educational material and do not call for any actions aimed at the diagnosis and self-treatment of hamsters. All examinations should be carried out only in specialized veterinary centers. Our center "I-BET" offers services of a professional ratologist - a doctor specializing in rodent diseases. We have quality equipment that is manufactured according to European quality standards. We carry out all complex operations in a hospital.
We advise you to pay attention to such a service as “calling a veterinarian home”. By calling a specialist at home, you will save a significant amount of your time, as well as save the pet from possible stresses that may occur during transportation. The doctor will arrive on time at a time convenient for you. We are always glad to see you!
If you find an error, please select a piece of text and press Ctrl + Enter.